-
March 27th, 2004, 10:06 PM
#1
Inactive Member
I am looking into getting some recording equipment to use for some home recording projects and for putting my own playing under the microscope. I am not looking into anything super-crazy serious and would like to stay in the $2,000-2,500. That price range is obviously a limiting factor. That budget goes for everything but the computer. I was thinking of the digidesign 002 rack system which has 4 pre-amp inputs. To fully mic the set i would need to but an extra preamp with 4 more to go quarter inch in to the 002 rack. Next i would have to look at mics and most likely they would have to be one of those pre-packed sets, like the Audix fusion 6 pack. Not the greatest but a place to start. Anyways, those are what i am looking at but any help would be great; to say i am a layman when it comes to this is an understatement! Thanks in advance.
-
March 27th, 2004, 11:24 PM
#2
Inactive Member
The Audix are very good and even the Samson has gotten some very good reviews for drum mikes and they're dirt cheap. MOTU makes the 896 that has 8 mike pre's and comes with Audiodesk software for recording, all for around $1250. The digi system is good and gets you into protools. Good luck,
Brad
-
March 28th, 2004, 01:42 PM
#3
Inactive Member
For 200.00 you can buy the Behringer ADA8000 which give you 8 in and out XLR plus ADAT light pipe in and out.
Then for mics, I have not used any of trhese 'pacs' so I really cannot give a response. I use the Micro D's by Audix and really love them, they are much like the Shure SM98's and AKG C408's.
Software, many choices, Vegas by Sony. Sonar by Cakewalk, Protools, Cubase Nuendo.
Emu by Creative Design has some really nice new audio cards out.
-
March 28th, 2004, 03:27 PM
#4
Inactive Member
I'm not sure if you want to just record drums, but if so, I used a yamaha 12 channel mixer with phantom power, an SM57 for my snare, and this akg pack of clip on's including the overheads and D112 bass drum mic. Then I used cool edit software.
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--AKGDPDLX
-
March 28th, 2004, 04:12 PM
#5
Inactive Member
Thanks for the info, good to start with!
-
March 28th, 2004, 08:21 PM
#6
Inactive Member
This is a great help, thanks guys!
-
March 28th, 2004, 08:38 PM
#7
Inactive Member
You know, while we're on this topic, I'm just now starting to "scratch the surface" AFA recordg via PC. You guys are touching on this...
I have Cakewalk PA9 & some '57s & a D112 [AWA V & D drums], but, of course, there's only 1 eighth-inch inlet jack port on the back of the PC, & i understand i need to get an interface or "soundcard," because for proper recordg one needs to isolate the diff kit "members" AWA the other instruments, as we all know...i also "am told" [by music store salespeople] that the max jacks one can get is 8 for "cheaper" [yeah, right] home studio recordg...any more sugg's on? I'd rather hear it from some of you guys thsan have to ask a salesperson who's just trying to sell you their store's product/commission.... [img]eek.gif[/img] ;c}
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 28, 2004 04:41 PM: Message edited by: FuseU1 ]</font>
-
March 28th, 2004, 08:57 PM
#8
Inactive Member
Fuse, if you're just recording drums, might be as cheap and better to buy a mixer for about $400, record to minidisc, and then plug the minidisc into your line-in of your soundcard, and then edit from there. Or phono's out from mixer direct into the line-in might work. The price of a good soundcard will probably be as or more pricey than a decent mixer with enough channels. Or did I misunderstand what you're asking? [img]confused.gif[/img]
-
March 28th, 2004, 09:11 PM
#9
Inactive Member
Cool, Rudy.
But this doesn't sound advantageous to isolating every separate item in the kit [each tom, cym, kick, sn, etc], AWA the gtr/bs/kys/horns/whatever in order to mix it down or edit [;c)] it properly for a quality CD...unless I am misunderstanding what YOU are saying.... [img]wink.gif[/img]
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 28, 2004 05:18 PM: Message edited by: FuseU1 ]</font>
-
March 28th, 2004, 09:13 PM
#10
Inactive Member
Rudy, I'm also in the process of getting recording gear. Your set-up looks simple but I'm wondering what you can edit from the minidisc? Obviously it's not a multitracker. So let's say you want reverb, than it's gonna be on all the kit equally I guess. Or if you wanna compress the kick only? Please tell more about what you can do with Cool Edit on your track...
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks